Introduction to 3D Printing and Rapid Prototyping
3D printing, also known as rapid prototyping, is a mechanized method whereby 3D objects are quickly made on a reasonably-sized machine connected to a computer containing blueprints for the object. The 3D printing concept of custom manufacturing is exciting to nearly everyone. This revolutionary method for creating 3D models with the use of inkjet technology saves time and cost by eliminating the need to design; print and glue together separate model parts. Now, you can create a complete model in a single process using 3D printing. The basic principles include materials cartridges, flexibility of output, and translation of code into a visible pattern.
Current 3D printing machines are fancy machines used by professional product designers, engineers, architects, and surgeons, who use them to make models to use in presentations for clients and students. Present-day 3D printers work using various materials such as sawdust and glue, which can be pressed into 3D structures as long as the design allows layers to be applied incrementally.
3D Printing Capabilities:
As anticipated, this modern technology has smoothed the path for numerous new possibilities in various fields. The list below details the advantages of 3D printing in certain fields.
1. Product formation is currently the main use of 3D printing technology. These machines allow designers and engineers to test out ideas for dimensional products cheaply before committing to expensive tooling and manufacturing processes.
2. 3D printing has emerged in to the Medical Field. These manufacturing machines have the capability to help save lives. Surgeons using 3d printing machines to print body parts for reference before complex surgeries. Other machines are used to construct bone grafts for patients who have suffered traumatic injuries. Looking further in the future, research is underway as scientists are working on creating replacement organs.
3. Apart from saving lives, 3D printing can be used to solve crimes. 3D printing is used by crime scene investigators for forensic purposes in real life.
4. Architects need to create mockups of their designs. 3D printing allows them to come up with these mockups in a short period of time and with a higher degree of accuracy.
5. This new technological concept is exciting to nearly everyone including artists. 3D printing allows artists to create objects that would be incredibly difficult, costly, or time intensive using traditional processes.
3D Saves Time and Cost
3D printing has created a leap forward for product developers and small manufacturers. No longer are businesses forced to invest tedious man power and time in order to produce an efficient model for their design. Creating complete models in a single process using 3D printing has great benefits. This innovative technology has been proven to save companies time, manpower and money. Companies providing 3D printing solutions have brought to life an efficient and competent technological product.
Read more on 3D Printers by Objet
share this article: facebook